1 officer killed, 1 injured in vehicle ramming attack at US Capitol

Andrew Cummings
April 4, 2021

The incident began Friday when Green rammed his vehicle into the north barricade of the U.S. Capitol near the Russell Senate Office Building.

Evans died while another police officer was hospitalised after a vehicle crashed into a security barrier at the US Capitol complex after which the driver lunged towards the officers with a knife, police said.

In a statement, President Biden said he and first lady Jill Biden "were heartbroken" to learn of the attack, adding that he was receiving briefings on the incident from his homeland security adviser. "However, I hope it is a comfort to Officer Evans' family and the family of the other Officer harmed in the line of duty that so many are heartbroken and grateful for the officers' fearless protection of the Capitol", Pelosi said.

Nearly 140 Capitol Police officers were wounded in that attack, including officers not issued helmets who sustained head injuries and one with cracked ribs, according to the officers' union.

"Officer Evans had been a member of the United States Capitol Police for 18 years".

"Members of Congress, staff and Capitol workers, and indeed all Americans, are united in appreciation for the courage of the US Capitol Police", she said.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi ordered flags lowered to half-staff on the Capitol, calling Evans "a martyr for our democracy".

Video of the Friday afternoon attack shows the driver emerging from the crashed auto with a knife in his hand and starting to run at the pair of officers, Capitol Police acting Chief Yogananda Pittman told reporters. They identified the suspect as Noah Green, 25.

MSNBC erroneously reported Friday that the suspect in Friday's deadly vehicle attack at the U.S. Capitol was a "white male".

Investigators are increasingly focused on Green's mental health as they work to identify any motive for the attack, said the official, who was not authorized to speak publicly about an ongoing investigation and spoke to The AP on condition of anonymity.

Following the attack, the Capitol complex went under a lockdown, less than three months after a mob attacked the building and clashed with the police.

During the network's 2 p.m. ET program "Katy Tur Reports", NBC News justice correspondent Pete Williams provided reporting on the then-unidentified suspect, who had just died, Fox News reported.

In one post he spoke of being tormented by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Central Intelligence Agency, hospitalised and subjected to "mind control", and called the government "the #1 enemy of Black people!"

Barbed wire fencing that surrounded the complex for months after pro-Trump rioters stormed the building on January 6 has since come down and thousands of the National Guard troops who were deployed in response to the insurrection have since returned home, though thousands still remain in Washington due to lingering security concerns.

Other reports by iNewsToday