'Wipeout' contestant dead after completing obstacle course

Carla Harmon
November 21, 2020

This content is shared here because the topic may interest Snopes readers; it does not, however, represent the work of Snopes fact-checkers or editors.

A man competing on the television competition show "Wipeout" died earlier this week after completing an obstacle course while filming the series, sources close to the production told CNN.

The man in his 30s was declared dead at a hospital shortly before 7 p.m. Wednesday, Los Angeles County coroner's spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said.


The reboot is going to be a reimagining of the original, featuring new format twists and elements created to "push contestants' athleticism and willpower to even greater extremes", according to the official TBS announcement for the series.

Per the report, a male contestant needed medical attention after completing the course. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

Production was paused Thursday and Friday, and the show was heading into a preplanned week off for the Thanksgiving holiday.


Every Wipeout contestant is expected to undergo medical exams before they can participate on the show. "We are devastated to have learned of his passing and our deepest sympathy goes out to the family", TBS said via a statement.

Endemol Shine North America, the production company for the show, also issued a statement to TMZ.

In September, John Cena revealed that he would be hosting "Wipeout" on TBS. At the time of writing, Wipeout has not announced a premiere date, and no announcement has been made about changes that will or will not happen in the wake of a man's death following completion of the obstacle course.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER