Meghan Markle makes startling admission about royal biography

Carla Harmon
November 21, 2020

In 2019, the Duchess of Sussex filed a claim against Associated Newspapers, a parent company of The Mail on Sunday and Daily Mail, over the misuse of private information and breach of data protection act over the publication of her letter to her father back in 2018, shortly after her wedding to Prince Harry.

The Duchess of Sussex sought advice from two senior members of the royal family over how to prevent her estranged father from talking to the press, a new court document shows.

The filed documents came as a response to a recent court ruling which allowed The Mail on Sunday to use extracts from the Finding Freedom in its defence against Meghan Markle's legal action.

"She does not know to what extent or in what terms this one item of information concerning her communications with her father was shared with the authors."


Responding to ANL's claims that Kensington Palace's then communications secretary Jason Knauf "and/or" the Kensington Palace communications team "contributed" to a draft of the letter, Meghan's legal team stated in their reply that the Duchess shared a draft - of the notes she wrote on her iPhone - with Harry and Mr Knauf.

Britain's Prince Harry and US actress Meghan Markle.

While those senior members of the British royal family haven't been named, it is understood they are Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles. They recently bought a house in Santa Barbara, Calif.

The papers state that the Meghan nor Harry co-operated with Finding Freedom's authors Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand to put out "their version of events" by means of the book, a stance that the couple have maintained since before its publication in August.


Her lawyers argue that despite external collaboration, there was no discussion about the letter being used as part of a "media strategy" to enhance her image.

The Duchess' legal team also denies the idea that she and Harry had final approval of Finding Freedom's contents, and refutes the rumors that they have received financial aid from taxpayer funds. It says she wanted to correct the false impression conveyed by Thomas Markle "that she had abandoned him".

At a high court hearing last month, Mr Justice Warby, who is overseeing the case, agreed to Meghan's application to adjourn the trial - which was due to start on 11 January next year - until next autumn after hearing from lawyers for both parties in a private hearing.

In an effort to prevent a different narrative from being written, Meg's lawyers said she "indicated to a person whom she knew had already been approached by the authors that the true position as above (which that person and several others who knew [Meghan] already knew) could be communicated to the authors to prevent any further misrepresentation".


The judge noted that Antony White QC, representing the newspaper, had accepted that any suggestion that the case "involves in substance a family battle between a daughter and her father would be inaccurate".

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER