Nine of a family die after eating homemade noodles in China

Cheryl Sanders
October 23, 2020

During the gathering of 12 family members, nine of them ate the "Suantangzi" served, a thick noodle made from fermented corn flour.

Twelve members of the family sat down to consume the meal for breakfast on October 5, the Daily Mail reports.

The nine who ate the noodles felt ill in succession several hours later and eight were confirmed dead as of Oct 11, while the only survivor - a 47-year-old woman surnamed Li - received treatment in a hospital.

According to Fan Zhihong, an associate professor of China's Agricultural University, the main cause of poisoning from fermented rice products and flour is bongkrekic acid, which is extremely toxic, resistant to high temperatures, and can not be removed even if thoroughly cooked.


Three members of the family - all children - survived after they refused to eat the meal because they didn't like the taste.

The Health Commission of Heilongjiang Province said it was also found in the gastric fluid of the adults.

Zhao Fei, director of food safety at the Heilongjiang Center for Disease Control and Prevention, told China News Service that bongkric acid poisoning is often fatal.

The noodles, which were kept in the freezer for over a year, contained fermented corn flour, which poisoned the family with bongrekik acid. Death can occur within 24 hours.


Doctors said that the toxin can result in serious damage to human organs including the liver, kidneys, heart, and brain and can affect animals too.

"Currently, there is no specific antidote. As soon as poisoned, the fatality fee could be as excessive as 40 to 100 p.c".

In China and Indonesia, bongkrek acid has been implicated in outbreaks of foodborne illness involving coconut and corn-based food products.

The Nationwide Well being Fee issued a warning Tuesday to keep away from making and eating meals with fermented rice and flour, the state-run outlet China Each day reported.


Even with thorough cooking, the acid can not be removed, and the Global Times reports there is no medicine to treat such cases of poisoning.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER