Nigerian military offered to deploy in Lagos if needed - governor

Cheryl Sanders
October 23, 2020

Some of those killed and injured at the protest sites in both Lekki and Alausa, another suburb of Lagos, were allegedly taken away by the military, according to Amnesty International. The wreckage of a dozen cars smouldered in the upscale Ikoyi neighbourhood and two official buildings were ablaze.

Other accounts suggested the gunfire resulted from an attempted jailbreak by prisoners.

"We are at a point where all of us as a people living in the state must come together more than ever before".

A delegation of USA officials who were in Nigeria for previously scheduled meetings met the country's vice president on Thursday and condemned the "use of excessive force by military forces who fired on unarmed demonstrators in Lagos", a department of state spokeswoman said.

Resentment lingered with the smell of charred tires Friday as Nigeria's streets were relatively calm after days of protests over police abuses, as authorities barely acknowledged reports of the military killing at least 12 peaceful demonstrators earlier this week.

Several states are also under curfew and the oil-producing Delta state said it would enter a 48-hour curfew from 6pm (17:00 GMT) on Thursday.


An angry crowd shouted at the governor of Lagos state over the unrest as officials toured burned-out vehicles and the sacked palace of a Lagos ceremonial leader. He did not say how it started or comment on the reports of gunfire.

He said the army had offered on Wednesday to send in soldiers to keep the peace, but did not go into further details or say whether he would take up the offer.

Nigeria's military had opened fire without warning, killing at least 12 people, according to Amnesty International.

"The pain of these awful events is palpable in our towns and cities, and some losses are irreplaceable, but we can and will get justice for all of them", Osinbajo said in a statement.

"It's not a security camera, it's not a camera for humans or something".

In his speech on Thursday, Buhari did not mention the shooting.


Al Jazeera's Idris reported violence also erupted again in Lekki on Thursday and security forces were deployed to the area.

But some people committed vandalism and other criminal acts on the sidelines of the demonstrations, and both the authorities and protesters said they were not demonstrators.

"Looters and arsonists are now taking over what started as decent protest marches".

His remarks come after the United States condemned "excessive force" that Nigerian military apparently used against unarmed civilians and called for restraint.

Governor Sanwo-Olu indicated that multi-agency investigation into Lekki incident might begin next Monday when the order would have been fully restored across the state, pointing out that the recordings of the CCTV security cameras at the Toll Plaza would be useful in unravelling the circumstance that surrounded the incident.

One witness of Tuesday night's deadly shooting, 33-year-old Isaiah Abor, ventured out anyway to visit the scene where soldiers opened fire on thousands of peaceful protesters holding flags and singing the national anthem.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER