China city finds no new cases after testing 11 million

Cheryl Sanders
October 18, 2020

In response to the outbreak, Qingdao launched a city-wide test for the virus on October 12, and expects to complete testing all of its 9 million residents by Friday.

One of the cases involved a dock worker who had earlier tested positive for the virus but developed symptoms only after about 20 days, the city said.

Health officials said the cluster of infections, the first locally transmitted cases reported in China in about two months, appears to be linked to "inappropriate disinfection" in the CT room at the Qingdao Chest Hospital.


Xue Qingguo, Qingdao's deputy mayor, told state broadcaster CCTV that the risk of community transmission "is basically eliminated".

The rise in the infection has prompted the city to undergo a test of over 10 million people, as per the reports. The man works at a hotel used by the city for centralized quarantines and has been placed under medical observation at a local hospital.

Wu Zunyou, chief epidemiologist at the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, said that "priorities for prevention should be on wards in hospitals".


In response to the recent outbreak in Qingdao, Sui Zhenhua, director of the Qingdao health commission, was suspended from his post and is being investigated, and Deng Kai, dean of the pulmonary hospital, was removed, according to the statements from the city government on Thursday.

The National Health Commission on Friday reported 24 new cases, all of them imported. Both of them were asymptomatic, the official said. China has reported 4,634 deaths among 85,659 confirmed cases.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER