Louisville has settled Breonna Taylor's wrongful death lawsuit

Cheryl Sanders
September 15, 2020

Attorneys for the family of Breonna Taylor have agreed to a legal settlement with the city of Louisville, Kentucky, according to the Louisville Courier-Journal and WAVE-TV. Although the warrant in question listed Taylor's name and address, it was clear that police's investigation was centered on a suspected drug dealer named Jamarcus Glover, who had already been arrested by police at a location 10 miles from Taylor's residence before the ill-fated raid on Taylor's apartment. A news conference providing further details is expected to take place in the city at 2 p.m. ET.

A source told CNN on Tuesday the agreement was a multimillion dollar settlement.

Start the day smarter.

The settlement is reported to be one of the largest financial sums paid in a police misconduct case.

It's not yet known if city officials will acknowledge any wrongdoing as part of the settlement.

The accord also will provide housing credits to officers who agree to live within the city, and it would seek the authority for drug and alcohol testing of officers involved in any shooting.

They noted "former Louisville Metro Police Chief Steve Conrad... said that members of the Criminal Interdiction Unit were not required to wear body cameras". But, Aguiar said he hopes Metro Government's willingness to discuss significant police reforms is "a turning point".

The lawsuit, filed in April by her mother, Tamika Palmer, alleged the police used flawed information when they obtained a "no-knock" warrant to enter the Black woman's apartment in March.

Charges in the Breonna Taylor case? .

Taylor, a 26-year-old emergency medical technician, was gunned down back in March when Louisville police burst into her apartment using a no-knock arrest warrant that did not require them to announce themselves. Police say it struck Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly in the thigh.

Mattingly and two other officers - detectives Brett Hankison and Myles Cosgrove - returned fire.

A CNN review of the shooting found that police believed Taylor was home alone when she was in fact accompanied by her boyfriend, who was legally armed. Hankison was later fired for his role in the incident.

None of the officers have been charged with a crime.

Other reports by iNewsToday