Rafel Nadal withdraws from US Open over virus fears

Ross Houston
August 6, 2020

Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams are among players that have entered the US Open to be held in NY, the United States Tennis Association said Tuesday (Aug 4).

"The situation is very complicated worldwide, the covid-19 cases are increasing, it looks like we still don't have control of it", Nadal wrote.

The 34-year-old from Spain called sitting out the tournament scheduled to begin August 31 in NY "a decision I never wanted to take", but added that he would "rather not travel".

"The tournament is still big, it's a Grand Slam", Nadal added.

"All my respects to the USTA, the US Open organisers and the ATP for trying to put the event together for the players and the fans around the world through TV".

Young Indian tennis player Sumit Nagal is set to compete in his second Grand Slam main draw after receiving a direct entry into the US Open, which several top players will miss due to the Covid-19 pandemic.


The matches will be played behind closed doors and NY governor Andrew Cuomo had assured that robust testing will be conducted so that the tournament goes ahead smoothly.

However, his decision to skip the event means that, like Federer, he will also be absent when play begins on August 31.

Will Rafael Nadal win the French Open for the 13th time? No crowd will be in attendance for matches.

Nadal, 34, of Spain called sitting out the tournament scheduled to begin August 31 in NY "a decision I never wanted to take", but added that he would "rather not travel".

Men's world number one Novak Djokovic is still scheduled to take part in this year's competition where he'll be chasing an 18th grandslam.

Women's world No. 1 Ash Barty previously said she won't play in NY because of similar concerns. With this, it's the first time in 21 years, a Grand Slam tournament will not feature both Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.


"The tennis authorities are going to be taking extraordinary precautions, but that's going to take place".

But the Spaniard, who claimed the 19th major of his career with a five-set victory over Daniil Medvedev at the 2019 U.S. Open, explained that traveling amid the pandemic was at the heart of his concerns in announcing his decision via Twitter postings in Spanish and English.

"Everybody knows how much do I love playing in NY".

That is supposed to be followed by the US Open itself.

Djokovic had hinted that he was targeting a return on clay courts in September, which is where Nadal could be plotting his comeback. Bianca Andreescu of Canada, who has battled injuries since she won the women's singles title previous year at Flushing Meadows, is on the entry list.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER