Beirut explosion: Lebanon awakes to devastation as more than 100 confirmed dead

Cheryl Sanders
August 6, 2020

Lebanese officials believe Tuesday's enormous explosion in Beirut's port was likely caused by 2,700 tons of ammonium nitrate stored in a warehouse, and Prime Minister Hassan Diab vowed that those "responsible for this catastrophe will pay the price".

US President Donald Trump said "it looks like a bad attack" and that US generals had told him that the powerful explosions appeared to have been caused by a "bomb of some kind", without offering evidence.

Close allies and traditional adversaries of Lebanon paid tribute on Tuesday to the victims of massive, deadly twin blasts in Beirut, as condolences and offers of help poured in.


The blast rocked the Port of Beirut at around 6:10 p.m. local time (16.10 GMT), shaking buildings all over the city while causing massive casualties and damages.

Lebanese-Canadians in the capital, heartbroken by the devastating explosion in Beirut, are raising funds to help the thousands of people injured. The industrial chemical, used for fertiliser, had been stored at a warehouse at the dock since it was unloaded from a seized cargo ship in 2014, he said.

U.S. President Donald Trump said the U.S. "stands ready to assist Lebanon" and that he had met with some U.S. generals who feel the blast was not "some kind of a manufacturing explosion type of event".


French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said the country was "ready to provide assistance according to the needs expressed by the Lebanese authorities". "May Allah grant speedy recovery to the injured & strength to the bereaved", he added.

A dozen emergency personnel will also be sent to Beirut shortly "to reinforce hospitals in the Lebanese capital", said the presidency.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER