Aged care worker tests positive for coronavirus in Queensland

Andrew Cummings
August 2, 2020

The second woman had allegedly refused to share details of her travels over the course of the last week.

A photo taken at the Madtongsan IV restaurant in Sunnybank on July 23 has helped authorities trace the community transmission.

One of the women attended the Orion Springfield Central in Ipswich, south-west of Brisbane, on Sunday where she dined at the Peak Thai restaurant about 6.30pm.

Before that, she had allegedly gone to work for two days at Parklands Christian College in Park Ridge, south of the city before calling in sick.

The brother of one of the three Queensland women who recently tested positive to coronavirus sparking a huge spike in testing in the state has said the attention on the trio is motivated by race.

The man and his family, two of whom work in an aged care home, are in quarantine as authorities track down all their close contacts.


"That is a very important, very rapid response and that aged care facility has done a very, very good job already this morning", Dr Young said.

She said previously 24 hours, Queensland Health had administered 6866 coronavirus evaluations and anybody in Brisbane's southern metro area who had some issues had been invited to have tested at among their many congestion clinics in the area.

The alarming situation in Queensland comes as Australia hit a grim new COVID milestone - 200 deaths.

The Northern Territory has declared greater Brisbane, Logan and Ipswich as hot spots, shutting out millions of Queenslanders.

Two of the women who returned from Melbourne were yesterday in a stable condition in hospital.

"You need to think about this ... think about my sister ... she couldn't even breathe, some days she couldn't even breathe out of her airways", he said.


Health Minister Steven Miles said extra nurses had been provided to the facility.

"No residents ... are now symptomatic", he said.

"Under the advice of Queensland Health, residents will continue to receive care in their rooms".

The home has rostered on additional staff and provided extra mobile phones and iPads to ensure residents remain connected with their families.

"Unfortunately the second confirmed case has not wanted to let us know where she has been", Dr Young said.

Arif Mendes, who owns the restaurant told ACA: "People say we're in this together ... well clearly not for some people, that's disappointing".


"If you feel more comfortable managing your risks by cancelling things, then I commend you for it".

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER