Turkey fireworks: Dozens hurt as blast traps workers

Cheryl Sanders
July 3, 2020

At least two people were killed and dozens injured in an explosion at a fireworks factory in north-western Turkey on Friday, officials and news reports said.

Video posted on social media showed flashes, bangs and a huge plume of smoke at the Big Coskunlar Fireworks factory, located in the Sakarya province.

Two people were killed in the explosion while 73 others were hospitalized with injuries, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca tweeted. Sixteen of the injured were later discharged, he said, adding that of the remaining workers, just one was in critical condition.


Governor of Sakarya Province Cetin Oktay Kaldirim told the Anadolu Agency that the premises have been cordoned off, numerous ambulances and fire brigades have already arrived.

Two helicopters and a plane were sent to the area to assist firefighters teams, whose efforts were hampered by continuing explosions.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan gave details of the fatalities and said 74 others had been hurt.


Television footage shows a mushroom-shaped cloud of smoke rising from the factory where around 150 to 200 employees were working today.

Hendek mayor Turgut Babaoglu said many workers escaped the building during the incident.

The HaberTurk broadcaster's website reported there had previously been explosions at the factory in 2009, 2011 and 2014.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER