Ontario reports 323 new COVID-19 cases today

Henrietta Brewer
June 1, 2020

Recent increases in the number of positive COVID-19 cases in Ontario and this large group gathering at Trinity Bellwoods Park in Toronto on May 24, 2020 has prompted the Ontario government to extend all emergency orders, including the five-person restriction on social gatherings, until June 9, 2020. The new strategy released Friday includes targeting specific workers and sometimes bringing mobile testing units to them.

The news comes as the province revealed its new testing strategy will focus on communities with relatively high numbers of cases and certain high-risk workplaces while also boosting Ontario's contact-tracing work.

Ontario has struggled on several occasions to meet its daily testing goals.

The Ontario government has extended its COVID-19 emergency orders another two weeks. Sienna also operates the Camilla Care Centre in Mississauga, Ont., where the province has now taken over operations after at least 61 residents died from COVID-19.


A spokeswoman for the Minister of Long-Term Care said the province was working around the clock to make sure staff and residents at the facility are kept safe.

Ontario has meant to do 16,000 tests per day throughout May, and while it has met that goal less than half of the time, the numbers have increased in recent days, with 18,525 tests reported Friday.

That made for some hard conversations with provinces who didn't want the federal government stepping on their turf, said Dr. Samir Sinha, director of geriatrics for Sinai Health System in Toronto, who had knowledge of the talks. On Monday the province had ordered two other such facilities to come under hospital control.

Ontario has recorded additional cases of the novel coronavirus, at 344, on Friday, May 29.


"Nothing drives me more insane than these big corporations saying, 'No, we're watching dollars and cents, '" Ford said.

Of the total cases, 43.6% are male and 55.6% are female, with 40% of cases age 60 years and older.

Politicians and residents from outside of the GTA have been calling for their communities to be treated differently from the city for some time, given the fact that more than three quarter's of Ontario's COVID-19 cases so far have been in the Toronto area.

The number of people in hospital with COVID-19 and in intensive care dropped, but the number of people on ventilators rose from 94 to 100.


As with all pandemic plans and policies, Ford will be heeding the advice of the province's chief medical officer of health, Dr. David Williams when deciding how and and when to deviate from a blanket approach for reopening the province.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER