Louisville PD apologizes for targeting news crew at protest

Carla Harmon
June 1, 2020

The latest example came during protests over the death of George Floyd in Kentucky where police fired pepper balls at a TV news crew.

Halladay said she couldn't tell who the officer was at this time, but that police would review the video again and "if we need to do any investigation for discipline, we will do that".

Taylor was fatally shot by Louisville Metro Police Department officers on March 13 at her apartment in Louisville while officers were serving a "no-knock warrant". She then said it was only a rubber bullet and that she was fine. The terms of the warrant stated that officers did not have to announce their presence or introduce themselves as police. "Local reporter Kaitlin Rust keeps reporting even while being targeted by police, and viewers at home stare down the barrel of a police weapon". Gov. Tim Walz has since apologized to the journalists for the incident.

"Katie, are you OK?" asked an in-studio anchor.

For the second straight night, violent confrontations ensued between police and protesters in Louisville.

Protesters carried signs calling for justice for Taylor and Floyd, whose death has touched off protests across the country this week, including in Minneapolis itself. The use of nonlethal force on the WAVE-TV crew happened the same day CNN employees were arrested live on air while covering protests in Minnesota.

He also spoke of unity and thanked Taylor's family for speaking out against the Thursday night protests that resulted in seven people being hit by gunfire and vandalism. Both were standing behind the police line and were not interfering with law enforcement, a WAVE 3 statement said.

"This violence and destruction is absolutely unacceptable".

"My administration has taken swift action to respond to your concerns, to get to the truth in the Breonna Taylor case and to create a greater sense of police community legitimacy", Fischer said earlier Saturday.

"Breonna Taylor's family has been clear". Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer said Friday that the LMPD had not opened fire during the demonstration.

"To people who gathered downtown last night to protest", Fischer said, "and to many more throughout our city and throughout our country who feel angry, hurt, afraid, frustrated, exhausted and sick of story after story of black lives ending at the hands of law-enforcement, I hear you".

Other reports by iNewsToday