Liverpool call fan gatherings 'wholly unacceptable' after large crowds gather in city

Ross Houston
June 29, 2020

Officers have also charged a 19-year-old man with causing criminal damage following the Liver Building fire, which is believed to have caused at least £10,000 worth of damage.

"Our city is still in a public health crisis and this behaviour is wholly unacceptable", the club said in a joint statement with Liverpool City Council and Merseyside Police.

The video emerged after a 19-year-old was charged for throwing a firework at the Liver Building on a night when Merseyside police officers were struck by missiles and pushed to the ground by Liverpool supporters as ugly scenes broke out in the city centre on Friday.

Images showed a firework hitting the Liver Bird building, one of the city's most famous landmarks, during a second night of celebrations on Friday.

A total of 15 people were subsequently arrested for "violent disorder" and have been bailed while police investigations continue.

Deputy chief executive of the North West Ambulance Service Mick Forrest said crews were sent to 34 emergencies around the city's waterfront and 27 patients were taken to hospital, with three in a serious condition, while seven patients were treated at the scene.

Manchester City will form a guard of honour for new champions, Liverpool, when the sides meet next Thursday.

In a statement released on Saturday, Chief Constable Andy Cooke said: 'One man was arrested for assault after another man suffered head injuries.

Liverpool joined Merseyside Police, the City Council and Mayor Joe Anderson in condemning some of their own supporters for "wholly unacceptable" behaviour, which "risked public safety" as thousands swarmed into the city centre to celebrate the end of their 30-year wait for a league title, despite repeated warnings over the spread of coronavirus.

"They were committing acts of disorder and then threw glasses and bottles at the police when they tried to intervene".

Mr Roy said by the time officers arrived at the Pier Head at about 4pm, around 500 people were already there and within 35 minutes the numbers had doubled and people were continuing to arrive.

The police said on Twitter that the dispersal order would remain in force until Sunday. "We need to get through this first, and know that it is safe, before any victory parade can go ahead".

"Several thousand people turned up at the Pier Head on Friday 26 June and some chose to ignore the social distancing guidance and risk public safety".

"But for now, please stay at home as much as possible", he wrote.

Other reports by iNewsToday