Half a million in lockdown as Beijing fights new virus cluster

Cheryl Sanders
June 30, 2020

To avoid a second wave, even small surges are taken very seriously by the country's health authorities.

Health officials said Anxin would be "fully enclosed and controlled" - the same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the city of Wuhan earlier this year, Agence France-Presse reported.

Only one person from each family will be allowed to go out once a day to purchase necessities such as food and medicine, the county's epidemic prevention task force said in a statement.

The area is not almost as densely populated as China's large urban centres, and local health experts said they were optimistic the spread could be stopped.

Beijing Is Out of Risk?


Regions around Beijing remain on high alert.

Mainland China reported four new asymptomatic patients, who tested positive for COVID-19 but showed no clinical symptoms such as a fever, down from six a day earlier.

While this is a small number compared to thousands of daily cases in India and the US, the Chinese authorities said they reacted as quickly as possible to contain the virus spread.

In general, China has successfully "flattened the curve" in recent months.

As of Saturday, China reported a total of 84,725 COVID-19 cases, with 4,642 deaths.


People walk underneath an advertising screen of a mall at the Central Business District, following a new outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Beijing, China, June 29, 2020.

In stark distinction to the comforting of limitations amid spiking infection fees in the United States and sections of Europe, about 400,000 folks have been put underneath stringent lockdown in Anxin county, in the central province of Hebei, in close proximity to Beijing, right after just 18 fresh conditions ended up detected. In New York, city crematories were at one point working overtime, burning bodies into the night as officials scouted for temporary internment sites.

The rest of China has seen only a small trickle of single-digit infections, most of which were imported cases, which means travellers returning from overseas.

The move comes after another 14 cases of the virus were reported in the past 24 hours in Beijing, taking the total to 311 since mid-June and spurring the testing of millions of residents.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER