Ronaldinho Officially Released From Prison

Ross Houston
April 8, 2020

The two men deposited $800,000 each as bail into a local bank account on Tuesday.

The pair have been transferred to house arrest after their release form the maximum security prison in the capital Asuncion after paying a $1.6 million bail, according to Globoesporte.

The Brazilian former Federation Internationale de Football Association player of the year has been released after more than a month behind bars but ordered to serve house arrest at a luxury hotel while he is investigated for using a fake passport to enter the country.


They were jailed exactly a month ago on Monday to await trial on charges of using false passports to enter Paraguay.

The 39-year-old was named FIFA World Player of the year in 2004 and 2005 and won the World Cup with Brazil in 2002 and the Champions League with Barcelona in 2006.

Judge Gustavo Amarilla told reporters that he had ordered the "continuation of house arrest in a hotel for Ronaldinho and his brother".


The former Barcelona, Paris St Germain and AC Milan midfielder, who won the World Cup with Brazil in 2002, was arrested on 6 March with his brother and business manager Roberto Assis.

Ronaldinho, given a rock star's welcome to Asuncion by around 2,000 children and teenagers, said the passports had been given to him by sponsors of a charity working with disadvantaged children.

It was claimed they could spend up to six months in jail for as long as the investigation into their case would take, and were denied an earlier bail request.


Although he last played professionally in 2015, Ronaldinho, who also represented Brazilian clubs Gremio, Atletico Mineiro, Flamengo and Fluminense, is still hugely popular with global football fans.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER