COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland

Yolanda Curtis
April 4, 2020

The coronavirus outbreak originated from Wuhan in the Hubei province of China at the end of 2019 - but China has only publicly reported 82,361 cases and 3,293 deaths as of Wednesday.

The country where the virus emerged late previous year will observe three minutes of silence nationwide on Saturday to mourn the thousands of "martyrs" who died in the fight against the pandemic, the official Xinhua news agency said.

At 10am Saturday, Chinese people nationwide will observe three minutes of silence to mourn for the diseased, while air raid sirens and horns of automobiles, trains and ships will wail in grief, Xinhua reported.

Altogether 76,571 patients had been discharged from hospitals after recovery by the end of Thursday, the commission said in its daily report Friday. All but two involved travellers from overseas. The new infections bring the total number of confirmed cases in mainland China to 81,639 as of Friday.

Wang Zhonglin, Wuhan's Communist Party chief, said the risk of a rebound in the city's coronavirus epidemic remained high due to both internal and external risks and that it must continue to maintain prevention and control measures.


The comments came about two weeks after officials eased the city's total lockdown, allowing some of its population of 11 million to go outdoors for the first time since January 23, though they were still not able to leave Wuhan.

Speculation arose over China's reporting after its government said earlier this month that there were no new cases in Wuhan, where the pandemic stemmed from, and images of stacks of thousands of urns outside funeral homes in Hubei province showed up.

The city is scheduled to ease travel curbs on April 8 as the number of infections reported there have dwindled, with volunteers in hazmat suits spraying public areas with disinfectant in preparation for an increase in activity.

Restrictions have been gradually reimposed in other parts of China as well, including closures of cinemas that had been permitted to reopen.

On Wednesday, a county in the central province of Henan banned people from leaving without proper authorisation and confined residents to homes unless they had clearance, following several infections in the area.


Top officials are also ordering local health authorities to step up detection, monitoring and supervision of the infected patients who are not yet showing any symptoms.

As of Thursday, the mainland had reported a total of 870 imported cases.

The letter outlines China's propaganda efforts over the course of months, from alleged coordination between Chinese health officials and the Chinese government to hide the spread of COVID-19 and government-led propaganda campaigns to blame the United States, to reported efforts by Chinese officials to silence doctors and expel American journalists from the country.

On Friday, the foreign ministry said it was advising foreign diplomats not to come to Beijing, following the emergence of infections among some of them in China. When all is said and done, we very well may have spent more than the annual USA budget in our own money to help stop this virus that China purposefully concealed.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER