Tyson Fury-Deontay Wilder Trilogy Bout Postponed Due to Coronavirus

Ross Houston
March 27, 2020

It was recently reported that the July trilogy match between Tyson "Gypsy King" Fury and Deontay "The Bronze Bomber" Wilder was being postponed, and many speculated that it was due to the COVID-19 coronavirus global pandemic.

Lineal champion Tyson Fury (30-0-1, 21 KO) stopped former WBC heavyweight titleholder Deontay Wilder (42-1-1, 41) in the seventh round of their rematch in February and claimed the belt.

With travel restrictions affecting both the U.S. and Britain, and Las Vegas' casinos shuttered, Arum said a postponement was the only sensible option.

"Clearly not", Arum told ESPN of the original date.


"We don't even know if the MGM will be open by then".

In the days after the fight, Wilder said that his walk-on costume had been so heavy that it had taken everything out of his legs for the fight.

"They've locked down Vegas and the commission has said no boxing". Where were they going to train for this? "It also makes no sense to plan the battle, if the British cannot arrive in time". You just have to take a move again. How are you going to offer tickets?

Tyson Fury will be an absolute favourite whenever he fights Anthony Joshua, believes retired welterweight boxer Paulie Malignaggi.


There was a large contingent of followers in the United States from Fury's native England for the initially two fights.

'So everybody has to take a step back. "Boxing is not isolated", Arum said. It's part of what's happening in the world. "So maybe the fight will take place in early October".

Fury and Wilder met for the first time in December 2018 and ended in an unsatisfying split draw.

Matchroom Boxing boss Eddie Hearn had remained hopeful that he could fit a blockbuster battle with Fury into the schedule for Joshua, who is due to defend his world titles against Kubrat Pulev at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on June 20, live on Sky Sports Box Office.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER