First Death In Hong Kong From Coronavirus : Goats and Soda

Andrew Cummings
February 4, 2020

Sources told PA news agency the United Kingdom would continue to follow the advice of the World Health Organisation (WHO), which does not advocate such bans.

Hong Kong confirmed its first death from the novel coronavirus on Tuesday as health workers in the territory were on their second day of a walkout aimed at forcing closure of the border with mainland China - the epicenter of the epidemic.

The patient was a Chinese national from Wuhan city, where the virus was first detected. A 1,500-bed hospital also specially built for patients infected with the new virus is due to open within days.

The former British colony so far has had 15 confirmed cases of the newly discovered coronavirus, including one that was transmitted locally.

China's nationwide death toll now stands at 425.


Around 9,000 members out of the alliance's roughly 18,000 members are expected to join the strike on Tuesday, HAEA chairwoman Winnie Yu said.

Hong Kong reported its first coronavirus death on Tuesday, a 39-year-old male who had been suffering from an underlying illness and had visited China's Wuhan city in January, hospital staff said, marking the second death outside mainland China.The first death outside of China was reported on Sunday - a 44-year-old Chinese man who died in the Philippines after travelling there from Wuhan.

Hong Kong, which was hard hit by the outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in 2003, has stopped almost all ground transportation links with the mainland, halted cross-border trains and halved the number of mainland originating flights.

Travelers from China are being screened for the virus at airports worldwide and several airlines suspended flights to Wuhan.

The hospital is one of the two makeshift hospitals dedicated to treating patients infected with the virus. Television footage of those facilities showed beds placed in tight rows in large rooms without dividers or any barriers to keep patients isolated. He said he was taken from his home and questioned by police after he posted a video of what he'd seen online, a reflection of the communist government's instinctive impulse to control all information about politics and public emergencies. Most victims were over 60 years and many had pre-existing medical problems.


Alibaba created a $144 million fund to buy medical supplies for Wuhan and Hubei province, the epicenter of the virus outbreak, and it's offering AI computing power to research organizations searching for a vaccine or treatments. All Hubei schools are postponing the start of the new semester until further notice, as a many in Beijing, Shanghai and elsewhere.

Messonnier said 167 specimens have tested negative, and the CDC is awaiting the results of another 82 suspected cases.

The 57 confirmed new deaths was the single-biggest increase since the new coronavirus was detected late previous year in the central city of Wuhan, where it is believed to have jumped from animals at a market into humans.

It is South Korea's 16th case.

A passenger on a Japanese-operated cruise ship tested positive after leaving the vessel while it was in Hong Kong, and Japanese officials were conducting medical checks on the more than 3,000 people on board Tuesday.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER