First coronavirus death outside China

Cheryl Sanders
February 4, 2020

The U.S. emergency declaration also requires Americans returning from the ground zero Chinese province of Hubei to be placed in mandatory 14-day quarantine, and health screening for USA citizens coming from other parts of China.

The Department of Health said the 44-year-old man was admitted on January 25 after experiencing fever, cough, and sore throat.

US Defense Secretary Mark Esper has also approved a request to provide military housing for up to 1,000 people who may need to be quarantined after arriving in the US from overseas travel, the Pentagon said in a statement.

This photo taken on February 2, 2020 shows an inside view of the Huoshenshan hospital, which means "Fire God Mountain", after handed over to China's army in Wuhan in China's central Hubei province.

It warned Friday that closing borders was probably ineffective in halting transmission and could accelerate the virus's spread. Apart from damaging China's worldwide reputation, such steps could worsen a domestic economy already growing at its lowest rate in decades.

MA health officials said the risk to the public from the coronavirus remains low in the state.


At least 24 countries have reported cases since China informed World Health Organization about the new virus in late December. The warning aims to address "the issue of the human-to-human transmission of the coronavirus".

In a sign of the economic toll of the outbreak, China's Shanghai Composite index plunged 8.7% when it reopened Monday following the Lunar New Year holiday.

The death in the Philippines comes as China is facing mounting isolation in the face of increasing travel restrictions and flight suspensions, as the number of dead from the coronavirus outbreak rose to 305.

On Sunday, South Korea reported three more cases for a total of 15. Huanggang, home to 7 million people, imposed similar measures on Saturday.

Australia, Germany, Japan, South Korea, the United Arab Emirates, the USA and Vietnam all reported new cases Saturday.

China's government insists it can contain the virus and called USA advice against travel to China "unkind".


Countries have scrambled to evacuate their nationals from Wuhan, with hundreds of US, Japanese, British, French, South Korean, and Indian citizens evacuated so far, and more countries planning airlifts.

The Trump administration's national security adviser, Robert O'Brien, said on CBS' "Face the Nation" that the Chinese so far "have been more transparent certainly than in past crises and we appreciate that and we continue to offer assistance to the Chinese".

Both the new virus and SARS are from the coronavirus family, which also includes those that cause the common cold.

Another 2,102 new infections also were confirmed, bringing the total to almost 12,000 - far higher than the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome outbreak of 2002-03. Eight earlier cases in Germany were all linked to an auto parts factory.

"In light of the current situation, in order to keep the journalists updated with the latest developments on China's diplomatic front while ensuring their health", the foreign ministry will hold daily online briefing every weekday starting February 3, it said.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER