United Kingdom woman 'miraculously' revived after 6 hours in cardiac arrest

Cheryl Sanders
December 7, 2019

A British hiker survived a longest documented cardiac arrest in Spain and Spanish doctors call it an "exceptional case".

A 65-year-old woman in Switzerland made a full recovery after her heart stopped beating for 8 hours and 40 minutes due to severe hypothermia, according to an article in the Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.

Schoeman told the network she doesn't remember any of what happened during those crucial six hours.

Schoeman began having trouble speaking and moving, and then fell unconscious during the hike.

Rohan quickly asked for an ambulance and Schoeman was taken to Vall d'Hebron Hospital in Barcelona, where she was treated by Dr. Jordi Riera, according to the BBC. I don't think we'll be out in any high mountain this winter, but I do hope that next spring or summer we'll be able to go back and do some long walking and feel confident in it. They used the device to give Mash's organs a break while they slowly waited for her body temperature to come up.

Mr Schoeman told Catalan channel TV3 he was unable to detect a pulse."I couldn't feel a breath, I couldn't feel a heartbeat", he said.

But the frigid temperatures on the mountain range seemed to have kept her alive, her doctor Eduard Argudo told the outlet. Her coronary heart jumped again into motion, some six hours after emergency companies had been first contacted.

After getting caught in an unexpected snowstorm without a water-proof jacket, severe hypothermia set in and her body temperature dropped to around 18C (64.4F).

Racing in opposition to time, medical doctors turned to a specialised machine able to eradicating blood, infusing it with oxygen and reintroducing it to the affected person.

They finally restarted her heart and brought her back to life later that night, after her body temperature had reached 30 C.

Mash, who is an English teacher by day, was released from the hospital 12 days after waking up, though she's still recovering feeling in her hands, according to the AP.

"We were very anxious about any neurological damage", Argudo told the outlet.

She will be returning to work on Monday, he added, just over a month after the incident.

"We were very anxious about any neurological damage", Argudo said, "given there are practically no cases of people who have had their heart stop for so long and been revived".

She continued: "I woke up when it was all over".

"It's like a miracle except it's all because of the doctors", she added. "I don't want this to take away that hobby from me", she said.

Other reports by iNewsToday