UK's Prince Andrew 'appalled' by Jeffrey Epstein claims

Cheryl Sanders
August 19, 2019

"The Duke of York has been appalled by the recent reports of Jeffrey Epstein's alleged crimes", Buckingham Palace said in a statement released to PEOPLE.

Prince Andrew's statement comes after the Mail on Sunday published footage showing the duke looking out from a large door of the mansion waving goodbye to a woman after Mr Epstein leaves to get into a chauffeur-driven auto.

Britain's Prince Andrew rejected any suggestion that he participated in the alleged sex crimes which USA financier Jeffrey Epstein was accused of, Buckingham Palace said in a statement.

"His Royal Highness deplores the exploitation of any human being and the suggestion he would condone, participate in or encourage any such behaviour is abhorrent", the statement concluded.

Prince Andrew had been photographed with Epstein on several occasions, but recently distanced himself from the disgraced financier.


Shortly after the picture surfaced in 2011, Andrew quit his unpaid job as a trade envoy.

Epstein had pleaded guilty in 2008 to procuring for prostitution a girl under the age of 18 and served 13 months in prison before being released on probation.

It shows the duke looking out from a large door of the mansion - dubbed the "House of Horrors" by some of his victims - waving a woman goodbye after Epstein leaves to get in a chauffeur-driven vehicle.

"Prince Andrew remained friends with Epstein *after* his first conviction in 2008, which was public and contained all the elements he now says he's appalled by".

Mr Epstein, 66, took his own life earlier this month while waiting to go on trial for sex trafficking charges in NY.


According to court filings, Virginia Roberts, one of Epstein's accusers, said she was ordered to give the prince "whatever he required".

Prince Andrew briefly referred to the allegations at the Davos annual meeting in 2015, saying: "I wish to reiterate and reaffirm the statements already made on my behalf by Buckingham Palace".

Andrew, who is fourth in line to the throne, is among the rich and powerful who have been swept up by their ties - past or present - to Epstein, whose death in a Manhattan jail cell earlier this month was ruled a suicide.

The Department of Justice has launched an investigation into how Epstein was able to die in New York's highly secure Metropolitan Correctional Center.

"Any suggestion of impropriety with underage minors is categorically untrue". "It is emphatically denied that The Duke of York had any form of sexual contact or relationship with Virginia Roberts", the statement said.


The royal family has repeatedly denied the allegations, calling them "false and without foundation".

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER