NY to host Joshua, Ruiz rematch

Ross Houston
June 24, 2019

Promoter Eddie Hearn expects to finalise details for Joshua's second fight against Ruiz Jr next week, with the Matchroom Boxing boss looking at venues in Britain and America for the return bout following the Mexican's stunning win in NY.

But the 29-year-old would receive huge home support at stadiums where he has produced emphatic wins in the past, and Joshua is weighing up his next career move.

The 29-year-old took to the streets of California, where he was born, in an open-top auto to celebrate winning the IBF, WBA and WBO titles with a seventh-round stoppage victory at Madison Square Garden.

"The rematch is going to be the same. Having Andre and the team in my corner will be what I need to beat Gassiev and begin to launch myself into big fights with the elite of the heavyweight division as I know I have the skills to be in that mix".


The Philadelphia native said, "I am really happy to be in camp with Andre Rozier and I have got a really good feel from all of the camp in NY".

In a new interview with BBC, Ruiz said "the rematch is going to be the same. I messed up a lot of her cars when I was young so I got her a brand new auto".

Ruiz who was ridiculed for his physique vowed to weigh in lighter than the 268lbs he scaled before their original bout.

"Ever since he fought Klitschko he's been going downhill a little bit". There is going to be a lot of change, I am going to come at a better weight this time.


Hearn added: "He's going to make the decision at the end of the day, wherever he wants the fight is where it's going to be. It's going to be a hell of a fight".

"AJ" as he is fondly called by friends and admirers is now getting set foe a rematch after a surprise defeat to Andy Ruiz Jr earlier this month.

Joshua was floored four times and beaten in seven stunning rounds in a result to rival any surprise in the sport's illustrious history.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER