Pregnant teen strangled to death, baby ripped out of womb

Cheryl Sanders
May 18, 2019

Police in Chicago charged three people in connection with the murder of a pregnant teenager whose unborn baby was taken from her womb after her death.

Police said Marlen Ochoa-Lopez, 19, was lured to the home of someone she knew on 23 April with the promise of free baby supplies, was instead strangled, and her baby cut from her womb.

Police said 46-year-old Clarisa Figueroa and her daughter, Desiree Figueroa, 24, have been charged with first-degree murder.

Law enforcement say 19-year-old Marlen Ochoa-Lopez was strangled last month - and her body was dumped into a trash can.

The mother's boyfriend, 40-year-old Piotr Bobak, was charged with concealment of a homicide.

The day that Ochoa-Lopez disappeared, the Chicago Fire Department got a call about a newborn at the same address where she was found. Her infant son is hospitalised in grave condition and is not expected to survive.

Clarisa Figueroa called police hours after Ochoa-Lopez was killed to report that the baby had stopped breathing.

"We believe that she was murdered, and we believe that the baby was forcibly removed following that murder", Chicago Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said, according to The Associated Press. Her daughter had extra baby clothes that had never been worn, she claimed, explaining, "She was lucky to have two baby showers so she just loves to spread the wealth".

Ms Evans and her 10-year-old daughter, Samantha, were killed in their Addison apartment and Ms Evans' 7-year-old son, Joshua, was found slain in a Maywood alley.

"[Desiree Figueroa] confesses that she assisted her mother - strangling Marlen", Deenihan said.

"She gave her mother a big hug and told her, 'You're the best mom in the world, '" Cortes said.

At the same time, Figueroa had started a GoFundMe campaign for the funeral of what she said was her dying baby, said Sara Walker, a spokeswoman for Ms Ochoa-Lopez's family. A 911 dispatcher was told on April 23 that the baby was blue and not breathing.

According to The Washington Post, after the body was found, Ochoa-Lopez's husband, Yovany Lopez, tearfully told reporters, "Why did these bad people do this?" One of Ochoa's friends told detectives about the Facebook group she was in, prompting them to look into the group.

She was seen three weeks ago after leaving Latino Youth High School and was supposed to pick up her 3-year-old son from day care.

Ochoa-Lopez was also known by the name Marlen Ochoa-Uriostegui.

That day detectives also went to the hospital to interview Clarisa Figueroa, who denied Ochoa came to her house but admitted knowing her. Paramedics tried to resuscitate the baby on the way to the hospital. Apparently, Ochoa-Lopez had purchased baby items from the suspects in the past, police said.

"She did nothing to them", said Yovani Lopez, her husband, reported the Chicago Tribune.

On May 8, more than two weeks after the ambulance call, Ms Ochoa-Lopez's black Honda Civic was found abandoned in the 7700 block of South Keeler Avenue, a few blocks from where her body was discovered. Whether it means walking through a bloody police shooting to help a family find justice or showing the multifaceted talent of the Black Diaspora I write the news.

Other reports by iNewsToday