Duke of York 'eager to work closely with Saudi Arabia'

Andrew Cummings
October 26, 2018

Saudi Arabia has again changed its explanation for the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi inside Riyadh's Istanbul consulate, now saying it was "premeditated", based on information it had received from Turkey.

A statement by Saudi Attorney General Saud al-Mojeb attributed the latest findings of a joint Turkish-Saudi investigation to information from Turkish counterparts.

The market has so far regained nearly all the losses it has sustained since journalist Khashoggi was murdered after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2. Turkey's state-run news agency says Saudi officials did not allow Turkish investigators, probing the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, to search a well in the garden of the Saudi Consulate.

It come as Mr Khashoggi's eldest son flew out of Saudi Arabia after meeting the country's king and crown prince.


"We should keep in mind there are hundreds, if not thousands, of people in Saudi Arabia who face travel bans and are held in detention without any justice".

Crown Jewel was under fire after the October 2 murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a prominent critic of the country's government. Turkish authorities maintain that Khashoggi was tortured, killed and dismembered in a premeditated operation organized by Saudi government officials. That earlier assertion, in turn, backtracked from an initial statement that Saudi authorities knew nothing about what happened to the columnist for The Washington Post, who vanished after entering the consulate October 2.

'She strongly urged Saudi Arabia to cooperate with the Turkish investigation and to be transparent about the results.

Saudi officials at first said that Khashoggi walked out of the consulate three weeks ago and that they did not know his whereabouts.


Turkish officials and some US lawmakers allege the crown prince ordered the operation in which Jamal Khashoggi killed.

The source told the newspaper that the Saudi Allegiance Council had secretly met to discuss the issue of Khashoggi. They also photographed Saudi diplomatic vehicles scouting wooded areas in the days before Khashoggi disappeared.

Prince Mohammed on Wednesday made his first public comments since his government admitted Khashoggi had died.

At least 18 Saudi citizens have been arrested in connection to the killing, as NPR has reported, and U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Tuesday that 21 Saudi suspects would have their U.S. visas revoked and/or not be granted new ones. Erdogan called it a "brutal" murder.


Mr Erdogan also confirmed that a body double of Khashoggi was used as a decoy after he was killed, after CCTV footage emerged on Monday of a man wearing the Washington Post columnist's dress shirt, suit jacket and trousers.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER