Firefighters outflank California blaze, last four missing found alive

Cheryl Sanders
August 3, 2018

Extreme weather conditions were expected to return on Thursday and could stoke wildfires in California, where thousands of tired firefighters are battling the destructive, deadly blazes. Crews are mopping up burned areas on the southern end of the fire.

- more than a quarter of what it has pegged for fires, state Department of Forestry and Fire Protection spokesperson Mike Mohler said Wednesday.

Numerous fire personnel were being sent from out of state.

"Nature is very powerful and we are not on the side of nature", Brown said.

"We're in for a really rough ride", Brown said at the news conference.


The Carr fire, the largest fire now burning in California, grew to 125,842 acres overnight and remained 35% contained as of Thursday morning.

Shasta County Sheriff Tom Bosenkoannounced Wednesday afternoon that the last person reported missing in the aftermath of the Carr fire - Bruce Brown of Old Shasta- has been located, and is safe.

"We're being surprised. Every year is teaching the fire authorities new lessons", Gov. The Eel Fire is about 10 miles east of Covelo and is up to 1,000 acres.it's just 5 percent contained, and only 38 people are working on it.

Both fires started in Mendocino County but burned into Lake County.

A red flag warning was issued Thursday for parts of Northern California, including Redding, which has already been devastated by the massive Carr fire.


Having scorched an area larger than New Orleans, the blaze was the biggest of 16 major wildfires in California and the most formidable of more than 90 across 13 western states from Texas to Alaska.

A firefighter runs while trying to save a home in Lakeport on Tuesday.

Tired firefighters in Northern California were outflanking a deadly, 10-day-old blaze on Wednesday that has destroyed over 1,000 homes as authorities reopened more evacuated neighbourhoods and the last few people listed as missing were found alive.

So far, a total of six people have been killed as a result of the blaze, including two firefighters assisting efforts to control it.

Scott McLean, another CalFire spokesman, said roughly 40,000 people were under evacuation orders statewide, many from a pair of fires burning close together at the southern end of the Mendocino National Forest.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER