Police investigating London Bridge attack arrest 19-year-old in Barking

Cheryl Sanders
June 14, 2017

They have released images of the leather belts, which were strapped with disposable plastic water bottles wrapped in silver masking tape.

British police say the use of fake explosive belts, as worn by the London Bridge attackers, is a "new tactic". "The terrorists were coming in and I saw that they looked like they had suicide vests on. It is hard to speculate what the motive was for wearing the belts." his statement read.

On Saturday, Commander Dean Haydon of the Met's anti-terrorist command said: "Many witnesses we've spoken to have provided extremely helpful accounts of the attack but we are still missing pieces of the picture".

Meanwhile, detectives from the Metropolitan Police's counter-terrorism command are searching the address and another in Barking where a 28-year-old man was arrested on Saturday, reports Guardian.

"We had no idea what was going on, we didn't know if it was us shooting or if the bad guys had guns", Cole said in the account.

Police released details of their investigation Saturday as they appealed to the public for information, saying that showed Khuram Butt, believed to be the plot's ringleader, originally tried to rent a 7.5 ton box truck. Armed police shot dead the three attackers just eight minutes after the first phone call from the public. "Butt could not only have caused serious damage but potentially helped other terrorists to get into one of these events", the paper said, quoting a source close to the intelligence services.

Three men - Khuram Butt, Rachid Redouane and Youssef Zaghba - ploughed a rental van into pedestrians before exiting the vehicle, wearing fake gas canisters and carrying 12-inch blades, randomly stabbing people in bars and restaurants. "There is a possibility that they could have come back", Haydon said.

Police arrested 20 people after the attack and seven remained in custody on Sunday.

The 41-year-old and his officers rushed to Borough High Street and made their way on foot to the market where the attackers were looking for people to kill.

The belts were still attached to the men when they were killed, Metropolitan Police said.

He had not been charged in that case due to insufficient evidence, police said.

Other reports by iNewsToday