Donald Trump Chastises North Korea After Country Launches Ninth Ballistic Missile

Cheryl Sanders
June 5, 2017

US President Donald Trump says North Korea showed "great disrespect" to its major ally China by "shooting off yet another ballistic missile".

Monday's launch followed two successful tests of medium- to long-range missiles in as many weeks by the North, which has been conducting such tests at an unprecedented pace in an effort to develop an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of hitting the mainland United States.

Trump declared at the G7 summit last week that the "big problem" of North Korea "will be solved" and has previously warned that no option is off the table.

The test sparked an worldwide chorus of condemnation, and on Monday night Mr Trump took to Twitter to portray the test as an affront to China. Japan's chief Cabinet Secretary, Yoshihide Suga, said the missile landed in the exclusive economic zone of Japan between Sado and Oki islands.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe swiftly condemned the test - the second time this year that a North Korean missile has fallen close to its shores - vowing concerted action with the US.

"We can not accept North Korea continuing belligerence ignoring the repeated warnings from the global community", said Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.


This past weekend, the leaders of the G-7 (Group of Seven) member nations - including the United States - agreed North Korea "increasingly poses new levels of threat of a grave nature to worldwide peace and stability". North Korea has a large stockpile of the short-range missiles, originally developed by the Soviet Union.

Last Friday, the ministry allowed the Korean Sharing Movement, a nongovernmental organization in Seoul, to contact its North Korean counterparts for a malaria prevention program, the first time in nearly 16 months that South Korea allowed a local private organization person-to-person contacts with North Koreans.

"And in the event of war, they would bring danger to China and to Russian Federation as well", he said.

"But the bottom line is, it would be a catastrophic war if this turns into a combat, if we're not able to resolve this situation through diplomatic means".

"We have strongly protested to North Korea and condemn its actions in the strongest terms", he added.

The President of the USA took to Twitter to make his feelings known about the rogue state's latest missile launch today.


South Korea's new president Moon Jae-In ordered a meeting of the national security council to assess the launch, which came a day after Pyongyang said leader Kim Jong-Un had overseen a test of a new anti-aircraft weapons system.

The US Pacific Command said it had detected and tracked the short-range missile for six minutes, determining that it did not pose a threat to the US.

"Since our new government took office, North Korea has been frequently and repeatedly conducting provocation in such manner", South Korea's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said a statement.

But China has made it clear that the push for talks - and not more sanctions - is its priority. "The situation on the Korean peninsula is complex and sensitive, and we hope all relevant sides maintain calm and exercise restraint", China's foreign ministry said in a statement.

Washington says it is willing to enter into talks with Pyongyang, but only if it halts its missile and nuclear tests.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER