Collision: US Navy Warship blamed

Cheryl Sanders
June 27, 2017

Advincula said ACX Crystal had used flashing lights after Fitzgerald "suddenly" began to cross its path. Photo Credit: MC2 Raymond D. Diaz III/Navy via AP The U.S. Navy is investigating what happened aboard the warship, while Japanese authorities are investigating the container ship and its crew.

This handout picture from the US Navy's 7th Fleet taken and released on June 27, 2017 shows a bouquet of flowers in a memorial ceremony at Fleet Activities (FLEACT) Yokosuka, southwest of Tokyo, for seven sailors assigned to Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald who were killed in a collision with a cargo ship off the coast of Japan on June 17. Reuters reported it viewed a copy of Advincula's account but was not able to independently verify it.

The U.S. Navy paid tribute on Tuesday to seven sailors who were killed when their destroyer collided with a merchant ship off Japan.

The Japan Transport Safety Board, the JCG and the Philippines government are also conducting separate investigations.

The captain of an NYK boxship has blamed a United States warship for a serious collision off Japan last week. Japan's Coast Guard stated it was notified about the crash by Crystal at 2:25 a.m. -almost an hour after the crash.

In his report, the ACX Crystal's captain said there was "confusion" on his ship's bridge, and that it turned around and returned to the collision site after continuing for 6 nautical miles. From top left to right, Personnel Specialist 1st Class Xavier Alec Martin, 24, from Halethorpe, Md.; Yeoman 3rd Class Shingo Alexander Douglass, 25, from San Diego, Calif.; Gunner's Mate Seaman Dakota Kyle Rigsby, 19, from Palmyra, Va.; and Fire Controlman 2nd Class Carlos Victor Ganzon Sibayan, 23, from Chula Vista, Calif.

US Navy guided missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald arrives at its mother port US Naval Yokosuka Base, Kanagawa prefecture on June 17, 2017.

Two of three injured crew members who were evacuated from the ship by helicopter, including the ship's commanding officer, Commander Bryce Benson, were released from the U.S. Naval Hospital in Yokosuka.

Other reports by iNewsToday