Ariana Grande plans benefit concert in Manchester

Carla Harmon
June 3, 2017

"I want to reassure people that the arrests that we have made are significant, and initial searches of premises have revealed items that we believe are very important to the investigation", Manchester's police chief Ian Hopkins said.

"We are furious. This is completely unacceptable", a government ministry source said of the images "leaked from inside the USA system".

The New York Times published on Wednesday what appeared to be police photographs showing fragments from the bomb and a backpack used to hide it.

According to a report by the BBC, British police investigating the Manchester attack have now made a decision to withhold information from the United States in the wake of the leaks.

The White House had no immediate comment on the Manchester decision. "These leaks have been going on for a long time and my administration will get to the bottom of this", he said.

The New York Times on Thursday defended its publication of photographs of evidence collected at the Manchester bombing crime scene. But it wasn't clear USA officials were the source of the images, which the Times defended as "neither graphic nor disrespectful of victims" and consistent with basic reporting "on weapons used in horrific crimes". "We have strict guidelines on how and in what ways we cover sensitive stories".


"Our coverage of Monday's horrific attack has been both comprehensive and responsible", the newspaper said.

"When that trust is breached it undermines these relationships, and undermines our investigations and the confidence of victims, witnesses and their families", he continued.

"The public should remain vigilant", May said, speaking after a meeting of the government's crisis committee.

The Tripoli-based force arrested Abedi's father and brother after Monday's attack at a pop concert which killed 22 people and was claimed by the Islamic State group.

Around the United Kingdom, many fell silent Thursday for a late-morning minute in tribute to the victims. Crowds gathered at well-known sites including London's Parliament and Trafalgar Squares and Manchester's Albert Square. He travelled back to Manchester on Wednesday last week via Istanbul and Dusseldorf. "Very wicked, to target that sort of thing".

In an update on casualties, the National Health Service said 116 people were injured in the attack, with 75 treated in hospital, including 23 who remain in critical condition.


Abedi rented a flat for up to a week near Piccadilly station, in central Manchester, where it is believed that the bomb was assembled, rather than at his home in the south of the city.

United States sources were the first to reveal the identity of the bomber, 22-year-old Salman Abedi, leading to concern that police efforts to hunt down his associates could be impacted.

"Salman doesn't belong to any organisation", he said. He was picked up while allegedly receiving a money transfer from Salman Abedi.

British police have arrested two more men in connection with the Manchester attack, taking the number of people in custody to eight, Greater Manchester police said. Officers also raided a property in the city's Moss Side neighbourhood early Thursday and carried out a controlled explosion.

British news website The Independent also reported bomb-making materials which could be primed for imminent attacks had been found in the raids following the Manchester bombing.

Citing unnamed federal security sources, Focus reported that Salman Abedi twice flew from a German airport in recent years and wasn't on any worldwide watch list.


Abedi passed through Istanbul on his way to Europe, Turkish security officials told Reuters, but said they had no records of him entering Syria during his travels as had been suggested on Wednesday by the French interior minister.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER