Suspected Manchester Arena Bomber Had 'Desire For Revenge'

Yolanda Curtis
May 27, 2017

United Kingdom police initially said they believed bombing suspect Salman Abedi acted alone, but on Wednesday they revised their analysis, saying they were investigating "a network".

The BBC reported that police have stopped sharing information with the USA after leaks to the media.

The New York Times published on Wednesday what appeared to be police photographs showing fragments from the bomb and a backpack used to hide it.

Manchester police have not commented since, although a national counterterrorism official said in a statement that his agency has received "fresh assurances" from global partners and is working closely with worldwide law enforcement groups, including the U.S.


Authorities say additional evidence suggests the suicide bomber, Salman Abedi, may have been more directly connected to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) than originally believed.

Britain views the United States as its closest ally, and the two countries also share intelligence as part of the "Five Eyes" network which also includes New Zealand, Australia and Canada.

"As it stands ten people in total have been arrested in connection with the investigation, of which a man and a woman have since been released without charge", the statement reads.

President Trump added, "If appropriate, the culprit should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law".


British Home Secretary Amber Rudd was the first government minister to condemn the leaks publicly, saying Wednesday, before The New York Times story was published, that the disclosures were "irritating" because they made it hard to keep up the "element of surprise".

Of the 22 people killed in Monday night's bombing attack, many were children. Shortly after the attack, the suicide bomber was identified as Salman Abedi, 22. We ask at this time that we all continue to support the city of Manchester and all those families affected by this cowardice and senseless act of violence. The arrests have taken place in Manchester, Wigan and Nuneaton.

Hopkins said the leaks of details of the investigation to USA media, which included forensic photographs of the bomb site published by the New York Times, had been hurtful to the families of the victims.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER