Manchester Terror Attack: What we know so far

Henrietta Brewer
May 23, 2017

Greater Manchester Police gave no further details about the arrest but said they had executed warrants in the districts of Whalley Range and Fallowfield, where a controlled explosion took place.

A SUICIDE bomber has killed 22 people, including children, as an explosion tore through fans leaving a pop concert in Manchester.

At least 22 people, including children, were killed and 59 wounded by a suicide bomber as thousands of fans streamed out of a concert by USA singer Ariana Grande in the English city of Manchester on Monday.

Police were called to reports of an explosion at the Manchester Arena at 10.33pm, shortly after U.S. singer Ariana Grande had finished her performance.

British entertainer and comedian James Cordon, the host of CBS's "The Late Late Show", paid tribute to the city of Manchester in his monologue Monday night following the terrorist attack at an Ariana Grande concert.

The Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) detonated a truck bomb in central Manchester's main shopping area in June 1996, destroying the landmark Arndale shopping center and injuring 200 people.

Concertgoer Majid Khan, 22, said "a huge bomb-like bang went off that hugely panicked everyone and we were all trying to flee the arena". They said the explosion stuck just before 10:35 p.m. local time.

"So many young, beautiful, innocent people living and enjoying their lives murdered by evil losers in life".

In a statement the school said: "Georgina was a lovely young student who was very popular with her peers and the staff and always made the most of the opportunities she had at the school". Everyone started screaming and we almost got trampled on.

Manchester police have confirmed that 22 have died as a result of the attack and 59 are still injured. "Only heard one. People started screaming and going to the other side of the arena".

Monday's incident is being treated as a terror attack and May said the threat level remains at "severe", meaning the government considers another terror attack highly likely. At the same time a representative of Greater Manchester Police - Longsight Police Station told Sputnik that the police had no information on the evacuation. Police are still investigating whether the killer was part of a wider network.

Grande, who had just left the stage, was unhurt, taking to Twitter to say: "From the bottom of my heart, I am so, so sorry".

Other reports by iNewsToday