Ariana Grande 'traumatised' by Manchester attack

Yolanda Curtis
May 29, 2017

An investigation of the attack and the bomber, who died in the explosion, as well as a possible network tied to him is underway, according to The New York Times.

Greater Manchester Police say two men were arrested overnight in Manchester and in the Withington area in the south of the city.

The woman was subsequently released without charge in the early hours of Thursday.

Mr Burnham told BBC's Newsnight that police had chose to take a "cautious approach" to releasing information "and yet the first reports were coming seemingly out of the United States".

A furious response from counter-terror chiefs was also issued in response to the New York Times piece, saying such episodes "undermine our investigations".

Greater Manchester Police hopes to resume normal intelligence relationships - a two-way flow of information - soon but is now "furious", the BBC understands.

Over the past three, days several key details of the investigation, including the name of the bomber, first came out in USA media, angering British police who feared such leaks risked compromising their investigation.

The father and younger brother of suicide bomber, Salman Abedi, have been arrested in Libya's capital city of Tripoli, while British police arrested a seventh person in connection with Monday's bombing.

Material from the scene of the atrocity, including the bomb's alleged detonator, were pictured in a story by the news outlet on Wednesday, having apparently been shared by United States officials.

The broadcaster said UK Officials believe that U.S. law law enforcement rather than the White House is behind the leaks.

With the official threat level raised to "critical", meaning a further attack could be imminent, troops have been deployed to free up police, and armed officers patrolled trains for the first time in Britain. The attack was claimed by Daesh.

Separately, a Turkish official told The Associated Press that Abedi travelled through Istanbul and Duesseldorf on his way to Britain.

British officials said Abedi had been on the radar of the intelligence community before the massacre.

Police have found more evidence that the bombing was not of the work of a lone-wolf, but of a terror network. He said the bomb's construction suggested a "level of sophistication" that might indicate foreign training.

"I spoke to [Salman Abedi] about five days ago. there was nothing wrong, everything was normal", Ramadan Abedi told Reuters, moments before he was arrested.

In a statement, a spokesperson for the National Counter Terrorism Policing underscored the importance of the trust between USA and British law enforcement officials and said "when that trust is breached it undermines these relationships, and undermines our investigations and the confidence of victims, witnesses and their families".

Salman's older brother Ismail is among those under arrest in Britain. He said his son was getting ready to visit Saudi Arabia for a short Umrah pilgrimage then planned to head to Libya to spend the Islamic holy month of Ramadan with his family.

Al-Qaeda in 2007 announced that the LIFG had joined its ranks - something the Libyan group later denied, saying it had no ties to worldwide organisations. Police raided homes believed to be connected with the investigation.

Other reports by iNewsToday