Advertisers Bow to Activist Left, Begin Pulling Ads from Hannity

Andrew Cummings
May 27, 2017

Cars.com on Wednesday pulled its advertising from Sean Hannity's Fox News program in light of his pushing a conspiracy theory surrounding the death of a DNC staffer.

In the latest incident, Fox News was forced to retract a Hannity report that fanned the conspiracy flames on right-wing claims that Democratic National Committee (DNC) staffer Seth Rich, 27, not Russian Federation, was a key source of DNC emails leaked to Wikileaks.

Hannity said last week that he doesn't believe Rich was killed as part of a robbery attempt.

On Tuesday, Fox News retracted a story they had published on their website about Rich's death.

NEW YORK — Sean Hannity says a media watchdog is guilty of “liberal fascism” for targeting advertisers on his Fox News Channel show, as one company announced Wednesday that it would no longer hawk its wares there. "We don't have the ability to influence content at the time we make our advertising purchase", they continued.


May 23, 2017: Fox News host Sean Hannity promises to keep investigating Rich's murder.

Hannity is now the second Fox News to be targeted by advertisers this year, after over 90 companies dropped advertising on Bill O'Reilly's show The O'Reilly Factor over allegations of sexual harassment.

Hannity was unavailable for comment on Thursday as he is away from the network for vacation, the timing of which had some people speculating that Fox News was parting ways with him due to the controversy. Refet Kaplan, managing director of Fox News digital, would only say on Friday that the outlet would "track developments in the story and will update further when the situation warrants". "Those who suggest otherwise are going to look foolish", a spokesperson said in a statement.

This week Hannity, in response to advertisers leaving, went on a Twitter tirade, accusing the progressive advocacy group Media Matters of "liberal fascism", trying to "silence" him, and get him fired.

In a statement, Fox News said Hannity will be back Tuesday.


Last week, Rich's family had called on Fox to retract the stories and threatened legal action.

News of Cars.com pulling its ads from Hannity were first reported by Buzzfeed News.

Hannity's self-named show brings in millions of dollars to the network. Other, more legitimate news organizations dug into the story and found the Federal Bureau of Investigation never had Rich's laptop so could not have found anything on it.

"We have a specific "do not advertise" list for this type of programming", the hotel chain said in a statement to BuzzFeed.

Hannity wrote on Twitter Wednesday afternoon that he had spoken with "many advertisers" who said they "are being inundated with Emails to stop advertising on my show".


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER