Inquest into death of terrorist Khalid Masood who attacked London

Cheryl Sanders
April 3, 2017

Muslim schoolgirls, police officers, faith leaders and tourists were among thousands of people who joined hands on Westminster Bridge in a show of defiance a week after a terror attack that killed four people.

Khalid Masood drove a vehicle through a crowd of pedestrians on Westminster Bridge, killing three and injuring about 50, before running through the gates of parliament and fatally stabbing a police officer before he was shot dead.

Two security officials said tracking of his car's Global Positioning System showed he drove across Westminster Bridge and approached Parliament on Saturday, March 18.

It was confirmed that Mr. Masood was pronounced dead at 15.35 on 22nd March and died of a gun shot to the chest.

More than 500 young people from the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community in London were part of the ceremony, according to one of the organizers.

Mr Bercow also revealed there will be a second externally-led review into how Parliament responds to major incidents following the attack, in which four people were killed.

An inquest into his victims' deaths was opened by senior coroner Dr Fiona Wilcox at Westminster Coroner's Court.

The show of solidarity comes as an inquest into the deaths of American Kurt Cochran, 54, retired window cleaner Leslie Rhodes, 75, Aysha Frade, 44 and PC Keith Palmer, 48 is due to begin.

Chris Lovatt, operations team leader with the Independent Police Complaints Commission, told the hearing that staff from the watchdog had met on Wednesday with Masood's wife Rohey Hydara, and his mother Janet Ajao.

Police officers also held a minute's silence outside New Scotland Yard.

The Metropolitan Police has announced that the funeral of PC Keith Palmer will be held at Southwark Cathedral at 2pm on Monday 10 April.

Cochran, whose wife Melissa was taken to hospital after suffering a broken leg, rib and cut head, died at the scene on Westminster Bridge from multiple injuries after being hit by the vehicle.

Twelve people have been arrested in connection with the probe but only one remains in custody - a 30-year-old man suspected of preparing terrorist acts.

Other reports by iNewsToday