Aaron Hernandez's Brain Will Be Donated To CTE Research

Cheryl Sanders
April 24, 2017

"It is our position that they are holding Aaron Hernandez's brain illegally", Baez told reporters on Tuesday in front of the state medical examiner's office in Boston, where Hernandez's autopsy was being conducted.

Attorneys representing Aaron Hernandez's family are heading to Superior Court on Friday.

The Boston Globe says Hernandez attorney Ronald Sullivan wrote in an email Thursday that the former New England Patriots tight end was on the phone with Shayanna Jenkins-Hernandez about seven hours before he was found hanging in his MA cell early Wednesday.

Correction Department spokesman Christopher Fallon says the agency won't comment until the investigation is completed.

Recordings and logs of the cell block, writings by Hernandez, physical evidence from the night of his death and any photos taken from the scene are among the specific evidence Jenkins has asked to be preserved.

MA chief medical examiner, Dr Henry N Nields, concluded the "manner of death was suicide and the cause asphyxia by hanging".

After a brief public dispute between MA authorities and Hernandez's family, the former Patriots tight end's brain was released to BU's Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy Center.

Authorities say Hernandez died by hanging himself in his MA prison cell.

What's to become of Hernandez's home and other assets is another unanswered question.

It remains unclear why the 27-year-old former National Football League player hanged himself early on Wednesday in the cell where he was serving a life sentence for the 2013 murder of an acquaintance.

Jose Baez speaks with press after Aaron Hernandez's suicide.

But they said they were satisfied he died at his own hand, and they said his brain would be donated to sports concussion researchers, ending a brief public dispute over its custody.

Reporters asked Baez if he thought Hernandez suffered from CTE, but Baez would only say, "We need to leave no stone unturned and we need to specifically do everything possible to find out what happened". But during his trial for the killings of two men in 2012, he appeared upbeat, backslapping his lawyers, letting out bellowing laughs and blowing kisses to his 4-year-old daughter and other family members in the audience. He was in a single cell in a general population unit in the maximum-security state prison. She says the body will be shipped to another location, but she declined to say where. He was serving a life sentence for the 2013 slaying of a onetime friend.

Five days before his suicide, Hernandez was acquitted of a double homicide in Boston.

His death came hours before his former New England Patriots teammates visited the White House to celebrate their Super Bowl victory.

Other reports by iNewsToday