Syria: Rebel alliance launches battle to retake all of Aleppo

Cheryl Sanders
August 8, 2016

But little has changed for the besieged residents of rebel-held eastern Aleppo neighborhoods, who have been enduring acute shortages of food and medicine, as the fighting remains too fierce for aid to be delivered, the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and humanitarian workers operating in the area say.

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad wants to take full control of Aleppo, pre-war Syria's most populous city, which has been divided between rebel and government-held areas.

Videos appeared to show Syrians celebrating in the streets, although pro-government media outlets denied the siege had been broken.

They then pushed northeast into the district of Ramussa, linking up with rebel groups that had fought south from inside the city.


Strikes in the city of Aleppo in the bid to degrade and destroy the al-Qaeda-linked terrorists, however, paled in comparison to Sunday nights strikes in the city of Idlib that have produced shocking images of multiple burning buildings struck by incendiary bombs in a bid to root out al-Nusra rebels and recapture the balance in the fight to stabilize Syria.

But Lebanese pro-Syrian government news channel al Mayadeen said late on Saturday the Syrian army had "withdrawn from a number of positions southwest of Aleppo and repositioned itself in new defensive lines". There was no immediate comment from the Russian military. They also seized parts of the main supply road leading to regime-held Aleppo, cutting off critical supplies to the area. He said some 700 fighters from the government and the insurgent side were killed in the week of fighting. A statement by the operation room for the Conquest of Aleppo, which represents factions inside Aleppo that include Western-backed opposition groups, said that all those who decide to drop their weapons and move to opposition-controlled areas will be safe.

"There are no safe routes for civilians in government-held districts to use to get into or out of the city", he told AFP.

Three vans of vegetables crossed into east Aleppo, Abdurrahman said, but this was a symbolic gesture and the corridor is too unsafe for civilians or significant supplies to pass.


Munitions Arms, munitions and reinforcements have not been able to reach east Aleppo since the supply route, the Castello Road, to the Turkish border was closed on July 7th.

Those trapped inside the besieged part of the city - which includes up to 90,000 of whom are children, according to the World Health Organization - face a humanitarian crisis, with acute shortages of food and medicine, the United Nations has said.

"Most recently I'm hearing that the markets are closed and it's next to impossible to purchase food".

Syria's conflict erupted in March 2011 with protests against Assad's rule but has since evolved into a brutal war that has drawn in world powers.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER