Rocket Attack Hits Military Base in Iraq, Pompeo Calls Them ‘Continued Violations’

Cheryl Sanders
January 14, 2020

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for Sunday's rocket attacks, in which the Iraqi military said eight missiles wounded two Iraqi officers and two airmen.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo wrote in a tweet Sunday that he was "outraged" by the attacks. "I pray for the speedy recovery of the injured and call on the government of Iraq to hold those responsible for these attacks accountable".

Iraqi Shia organizations "gave the opportunity" to the Iraqi government and parliament to diplomatically expel foreign forces from the country, he added.


The United States on January 3 killed General Qasem Solemani, the powerful commander of the Revolutionary Guards' Quds Force, after a series of rocket attacks on the U.S. military and vandalism of the USA embassy.

The attack comes amid increasing tensions between Iran and the United States after a US drone strike killed Gen. Qassem Soleimani, Iran's top general, earlier this month.

While most members of the USA military had been hunkering down for more than two hours in Saddam Hussein-era bunkers before the first missile landed on the base, the base was vulnerable to this type of assault. USA officials have insisted Soleimani was plotting attacks on US facilities.


The Pentagon stated, after it carried out the fatal airstrike, that it targeted the general, who was in charge of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Quds Force because he was "actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region".

"What the president said was, he believed that it probably and could've been attacks against additional embassies", Esper told CBS News' "Face the Nation". Several soldiers said one of their numbers had come very close to being blown up inside a shelter behind the blast walls.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER