Michael Flynn Withdraws Guilty Plea, Says Government Acted in Bad Faith

Cheryl Sanders
January 15, 2020

Former Trump administration National Security Adviser Michael Flynn filed court papers Tuesday to withdraw his guilty plea, saying federal prosecutors had acted in "bad faith" and breached their deal with him in the Russian Federation investigation. "He gave the prosecution his full cooperation".

Earlier this month, the Department of Justice recommended that Sullivan sentence Flynn to up to six months in prison.

Flynn pleaded guilty in 2017 to lying to the Federal Bureau of Investigation about his conversations with the then-Russian ambassador to the United States, including about his request that Russia not escalate tensions with the USA in response to sanctions imposed by the Obama administration for election interference.


"The prosecution has shown abject bad faith in pure retaliation against Mr. Flynn since he retained new counsel", Flynn's defense wrote in the filing.

In a court document filed Tuesday evening, Flynn's legal team wrote that the government demanded Flynn, who was expected to to be called as a government witness last July in the separate case of his former business associate Bijan Kian, to provide a "false" testimony and say that he "knew and intended" to sign false filings in his Turkish lobbying work, which would lead him to breach his plea agreement by not telling the truth.

"Michael T. Flynn is innocent".


A judge has since rejected those claims. "The same can not be said for the prosecution which has operated in bad faith from the inception of the "investigation" and continues relentlessly through this specious prosecution".

The relationship between the prosecutors and the retired US Army lieutenant general grew increasingly contentious in recent months, particularly after Mr Flynn hired a new set of lawyers.

The judge, Emmet Sullivan, ordered Mr Flynn to appear for sentencing on January 28, concluding that he had failed to prove a single violation by the prosecution or Federal Bureau of Investigation officials for withholding evidence that could exonerate him.


She also requested "a continuance of the sentencing date set for January 28, 2020, for thirty days or until February 27, 2020, or such other subsequent day that is convenient to the Court and counsel, and a corresponding extension of time to file any supplemental sentencing memorandum (from January 22, 2020, to February 21, 2020)".

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER