Marco Silva hopeful that Andre Gomes will play again this season

Ross Houston
November 9, 2019

Gomes had surgery on his dislocated ankle on Monday which his employers Everton said went "extremely well", something the Portuguese midfielder confirmed on social media yesterday.

The 26-year-old Portugal worldwide had surgery to fix a fracture dislocation suffered in Sunday's 1-1 Premier League draw with Tottenham.

"Of course, when first we saw that moment and it's a really serious injury, but after the surgery and after all the examinations they did, everything went really well and we hope we can see again Andre playing this season". We are not 100 per cent sure.


"I text him before I flew [to Belgrade on Tuesday] and he texted me back", Son said.

The expectation had been that Gomes would not play again until next season, but Silva wasn't so sure on Thursday. "For the two players involved it was really tough as well".

Twitter: You can follow our dedicated Spurs account, Tottenham Hotspur correspondent Alasdair Gold and football reporter Rob Guest.


"Of course it was the toughest moment for Andre and the other players on the pitch. They feel like us because the last three or four games, it was really hard for us to understand and to see so many different things in the same games and different decisions for us and the opponents".

Referee Martin Atkinson initially showed a yellow card but then produced a red card - an automatic three-match ban - after a VAR intervention, with the English Premier League stating Son had endangered Gomes' safety with his initial challenge.

While the Everton boss believes the Brazil worldwide does not receive fair treatment from officials, he does think Richarlison needs to stand firm in the face of robust defending more often than he does.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER