10 cases of Salmonella, 1 death linked to ground beef, CDC says

Andrew Cummings
November 4, 2019

There are multiple strains of Salmonella and the one linked to this outbreak is considered to be one of the more severe ones, which means it's more likely to enter the bloodstream, increasing the chances for fatalities, officials say.

The CDC estimates that Salmonella causes about 1.2 million illnesses, 23,000 hospitalizations and 450 deaths in the USA each year, with food being the source of the vast majority of cases.

The illnesses started between August 8 to September 22 in individuals ranging from 48 to 74 years old. Of the 8 individuals interviewed, 6 (75%) reported eating ground beef at home.

The CDC, along with the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service and other public health agencies, have launched an investigation into the multi-state outbreak.


Symptoms include fever, cramps and diarrhea.

Salmonella was positively identified from repacked ground beef from one victim's home in California, who later died.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control issued an investigation notice Friday after Salmonella cases were reported in California, Colorado, Kansas, Texas, Iowa, and Oklahoma.

Illness typically lasts between four and seven days, and most people recover without the need for any kind of treatment.


The outbreak strain was also identified in 6 samples of raw beef products collected from slaughter and processing establishments.

Retailers can continue to sell ground beef and consumers can consume thoroughly cooked beef, the CDC said. In some people, the illness may be so severe that the patient needs to be hospitalized.

At least 10 people in six states have been infected with a serious strain of Salmonella after eating ground beef. Any individual who touches raw floor beef really should clean their arms with soap and h2o for at least 20 seconds as perfectly as clean something else that touched the ground beef with very hot h2o and soap. Use a food thermometer to make sure the meat has reached this safe internal temperature. These results provide more evidence that people in this outbreak got sick from eating ground beef.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER