At least 10 killed in vehicle bomb attack in Afghanistan

Cheryl Sanders
September 20, 2019

At least 30 civilians were killed and another 40 injured in an air raid conducted by Afghan security forces in eastern Afghanistan, officials said on Thursday.

A USA drone attack killed 30 pine nut farmers and wounded at least 40 others in Afghanistan Wednesday night, the latest killing of innocent civilians by American forces as the "war on terror" enters its 19th year.

This episode in the latest spell of raging violence in Afghanistan moved an array of Afghans as well as other social media users.

In a statement, Colonel Sonny Leggett, the spokesman for the USA campaign in Afghanistan, said the attack was aimed at "Da'esh (IS) terrorists in Nangarhar" province. "American forces must realise (they) will never win the war by killing innocent civilians", said Javed Mansur, a resident of Jalalabad city. Panic also spread among residents searching for family members who were being treated at the hospital.


"It was horrific", said university student Atif Baloch, who saw women and children being dragged away from the scene by rescuers.

Atta Jan Haqbayan, the head of Zabul's provincial council, gave a higher death toll, saying 20 people had been killed in the attack and another 90 wounded. "I don't know what to do", said shopkeeper Muqim Ahmad, adding that his wife and mother were inside the facility at the time of the blast.

The insurgents have been conducting attacks nearly daily throughout the country since President Donald Trump abruptly halted peace talks with the Taliban this month.

"Some of us managed to escape, some were injured, but many were killed", said farm laborer Juma Gul.


The militants have vowed to disrupt the upcoming presidential election, scheduled for September 28, in which Ghani is taking on his own Chief Executive, Abdullah Abdullah, and more than a dozen other candidates.

Citing a Taliban attack in Kabul in which 12 people, including a US soldier, were killed, Trump also cancelled US-Taliban negotiations led by Khalilzad that had been ongoing for months.

"Hearing reports the National Procurement Authority won't authorize fuel purchases for the power plant providing the only electricity in Kabul - even while the U.S. & Resolute Support help Afghan security forces enable repairs to power transmission lines".


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER