Firefighter dad loses three kids in blaze

Cheryl Sanders
August 13, 2019

Five children died and other people were rescued from an early-morning fire at a home that operated as a daycare center in Erie, Pennsylvania, on Sunday, officials and news media reported. Jones' two daughters La'Myhia Jones, eight, and Ava Jones, four, as well as his son Luther Jones Jr., six, were killed in the fire.

The Lawrence Park Fire Department is setting up a bank account to raise money for funeral costs for Jones's family, the news website reported.

The children killed in a deadly blaze were aged from 8 months to 8 years, according to reports.

Day care owner Elaine Harris was taken to a hospital in stable condition.

Jones was responding to another call in the city and had no idea his children were trapped in a burning home just blocks away.


Shocked local residents laid children's toys and balloons at the site of the fire yesterday to honour the children.

Erie Chief Fire Inspector John Widomski told The Erie Times-News that a smoke detector was found in the attic.

Widomski told the newspaper that the fire appeared to have started in the living room area on the first floor.

Erie fire officials said the children were staying overnight at a house that had been turned into a day-care center.

"So we are all at a loss, trying to figure out how this happened", Ms Lockett-Slupski told the newspaper.


Erie Bureau of Fire Inspector Mark Polanski helps investigate a fatal fire at 1248 West 11th St.in Erie, Pa, on Sunday, Aug. 11, 2019. Three of those victims were the children of a volunteer firefighter in Lawrence Park Township.

The state Department of Human Services Office of Child Development and Early Learning listed the day care as in compliance with requirements following a December 28, 2018, inspection.

"I love them dearly".

The childcare provider, presumably Harris, was said to have promised to 'make sure it will be cleaned up and remain that way'.

Both issues were said to have been marked as being corrected after the inspection.


But even if an electrical overload caused the fire, Santone says another major safety issue was found within the home: a lack of smoke detectors.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER