Clad Gunman In Shooting At Mosque, One Injured

Cheryl Sanders
August 11, 2019

The Oslo Police Department said on Twitter the shooting took place Saturday afternoon at the Al-Noor Islamic Center located in Baerum, a western suburb of Oslo.

The shooting at the mosque in an Oslo suburb occurred as Muslims around the world celebrate Eid al-Adha this weekend, one of the most important holidays of the Islamic calendar.

"These people showed great courage", Skjold added.

The man is suspected of attempted murder in connection with Saturday's shooting incident at the Al-Noor Islamic Centre in Baerum, west of Oslo, and murder after a woman's body was later found in his home in Baerum, police said.

Mosque director Irfan Mushtaq told Norwegian media that the perpetrator of the attack was wearing a helmet and a uniform and was carrying two handguns, adding that around six people were inside the place of worship at the time of the attack.


'One person is shot.

He later told local channel TV2 that the attacker had "carried two shotgun-like weapons and a pistol".

Superintendent Rune Skjold told reporters the suspect, described only as a Norwegian man in his 20s, has praised figures like Vidkun Quisling, the leader of Norway under Nazi occupation during World War II, as well as sharing anti-immigrant stances. After firing shots, the gunman was overpowered by two men inside the building before police arrived at the scene.

According to Mr Mushtaq, the mosque had not received any threats ahead of the shooting.

Police said earlier on Sunday they had tried to question the suspect, described as a "young man" with a "Norwegian background" who was living in the vicinity but he did not want to "give an explanation to police".


Police were alerted to the shooting shortly after 1400 GMT.

Police confirmed on Sunday they're looking into his online activity and receiving assistance from Norway's security service, PST.

Breivik, who said he was motivated by his hatred of multiculturalism, killed 77 people in gun and bomb attacks in Norway in July 2011, many of them teenagers.

Budstikka said it had contacted the mosque in March after the Christchurch massacre and that officials there had said security would be tightened.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER