Charges against 10-year-old boy dropped in game with students

Cheryl Sanders
August 1, 2019

The case was evaluated by the Wayne County Juvenile Prosecuting Unit, which determined that there was sufficient cause to bring charges against Bryce.

She also said her son was not aware of the other student's medical condition and she questioned why he was playing this game to begin with.

A 10-year-old boy has been charged with aggravated assault after a game of dodgeball at his primary school where a classmate was hit in the face with the ball.

A 10-year-old boy, Bryce, allegedly threw the ball forcefully at a 9-year-old boy, resulting in a concussion and abrasions to his face.

Lindley says she and her son, Bryce, had no idea about the boy's condition.

According to a police report, a ball struck a student in the face.

A pre-trial conference will be held Thursday in Juvenile Court. That student's mother told 7 Action News her son has a medical condition that makes head injuries especially risky.


Filing a lawsuit against a 10-year-old might be doing too much, however.

"A grade 2 concussion, a black eye, a black and blue nose", she said, listing the injuries her son suffered.

"We are asking the general public to contact her office and ask her to reform the way they authorize charges against juveniles", Davis said.

Bryce had been suspended from school for a day following the incident, which she thinks was sufficient.

She concluded with "While the charge in this case is certainly sustainable, I have instructed my staff to dismiss this case today".

The incident happened April 29th at Ruth Eriksson Elementary in Canton, when the game ended with an injury.

The soon-to-be fifth-grader is charged with Aggravated Assault, following a schoolyard game gone wrong.


'It is my earnest hope that both sides will come back to the table to work out a solution that benefits both of these children. hopefully, these charges will not have to be revisited'.

The other boy's mother told the news station that she "tried not to let it get to this point".

"My son was hit twice in the face with a ball previously due to this", the mother told 7 Action News.

The parent of the white child, who chose to remain anonymous claimed her child had been "targeted" and has a medical condition.

"I am unaware of any of those situations", Lindley said. "The child apologized to my son, and my son said, 'Mom, it's OK".

Lindley has posted a fundraiser on Facebook to help her pay her son's $4,000 legal expenses. "I want to make sure that both children are served as we move forward and hopefully these charges will not have to be revisited". As of Tuesday afternoon, the effort had raised more than $12,000 from more than 450 people.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER