Car bomb explodes in Libya's Benghazi, killing 3 UN staff

Cheryl Sanders
August 12, 2019

Arab League Secretary-General Ahmad Abul-Gheit called on all parties to respect worldwide humanitarian laws, especially during Eid Al Adha.

If it takes place, the ceasefire would be the first since the LNA, led by military commander Khalifa Haftar, launched a surprise military offensive on April 4 aimed at capturing Tripoli, ushering in fierce battles with militias loosely allied with a UN-supported but weak administration in the capital.

On Friday, the Libyan Government of National Accord announced that it accepted the United Nations call to ceasefire in the capital Tripoli.

In a statement, the Libyan government said that the ceasefire, "will allow humanitarian workers to provide services to refugees and those affected by fighting and maintenance teams to fix damage to infrastructure, including electricity towers and lines".

Over the past four months, 1,093 people have been killed in the fighting and 5,752 wounded, according to the World Health Organisation, while more than 120,000 people have been displaced.


Earlier in the day, Qatar strongly condemned a vehicle bomb attack on a United Nations mission convoy in Hawari, west of Benghazi in Libya, killing two people and injuring others.

This article has been adapted from its original source.

"The secretary-general calls on all parties to respect the humanitarian truce during Eid al Adha and return to the negotiating table to pursue the peaceful future the people of Libya deserve", it said.

But the GNA listed several conditions, saying the ceasefire must be observed "in all combat zones, with a cessation of direct and indirect fire and movement of troops".

LNA spokesman Ahmed Mismari told reporters two of those killed were guards with the UNSMIL.


"Two members of the United Nations mission, one them a foreigner, were killed and at least eight others wounded including a child, by a auto bomb" in a shopping area of the Al-Hawari district, the official said.

No side had claimed responsibility for the blast.

But the GNA blamed Haftar's forces for the attack against the airport, and for a separate alleged attack in the Soug al-Jomaa district of Tripoli.

Libya has been mired in chaos since a NATO-backed uprising that toppled and killed dictator Moamer Kadhafi in 2011.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER