Sudan's ruling generals reject deal to free country from political deadlock

Cheryl Sanders
July 19, 2019

The Transitional Military Council (TMC) and the Forces of Freedom and Change (FFC) alliance are still negotiating over a much more contentious document, the constitutional declaration, which is expected to be signed on Friday, according to an African Union mediator.

The leaders of Sudan's pro-democracy movement and the country's ruling military council signed a power-sharing agreement on Wednesday.

The two sides initialled a document called the "Political Declaration" after intense talks through the night over fine details of the accord.

"We want a stable homeland, because we have suffered a great deal", the protest leader added.

It will have a total of six civilians, including five from the protest umbrella movement, and five military representatives.

The military has been pushing for immunity from prosecution following the deaths of protesters, but this is not outlined in the deal.

Protests forced long time leader, Omar al-Bashir to be toppled from power.

According to the framework agreement that was reached on July 5, the new 11-member governing body will rule the country for just over three years, after which elections will be held.

It is a "historic moment" for the country, the deputy head of Sudan's ruling military council, Mohamed Hamdan "Hemeti" Dagolo, is quoted as saying by a private news agency.

He thanked the TMC and the Freedom and Change Alliance over the responsibility that they have shown during the talks, and the global community for supporting the negotiations between the Sudanese parties.

Prior to entering the latest talks on Tuesday evening, protest leaders had rejected any such offer of immunity to the generals.

Differences over the issue of immunity have been a major sticking point holding up the signing of a power-sharing deal agreed this month between the Transitional Military Council and the Forces of Freedom and Change (FFC) coalition.

The military council has confirmed at least 61 deaths in the raid.

Dozens were killed and hundreds wounded, triggering worldwide outrage - and allegations that the RSF was behind the killings - although the generals insisted they did not order the violent dispersal of protesters.

But the protesters, though initially cheering al-Bashir's ouster, remained on the streets for several weeks, demanding the military hand over power to a civilian authority.

The protests - dubbed Justice First - were a direct response to the military council's use of brutal force against civilian protesters in June.

Dagalo has insisted that accusations against his paramilitary force represent an attempt to distort its image.

Other reports by iNewsToday