Sudan military leaders say they beat back coup attempt

Cheryl Sanders
July 14, 2019

Sudanese activists are urging people to join nationwide protests calling for justice for those who have been killed during the seven-month uprising.

Relations between the military council that ousted Bashir in a coup and the Forces for Freedom and Change opposition alliance broke down when security forces killed dozens as they cleared a sit-in on 3 June.

The marches mark 40 days since the dispersal of the pro-democracy protesters' sit-in in outside military headquarters in Khartoum on June 3.

Police and security forces have attempted to disperse demonstrators using tear gas and firing live ammunition in the air to disperse the protesters. The government confirmed at least 61 deaths.

Rasha Awad, editor of the online Sudanese newspaper Altaghyeer, said the military council's actions will determine what happens next.

In Khartoum's twin city of Omdurman, hundreds demonstrated on al-Arbaeen Street, a major artery.


Chanting "Blood for blood, we won't accept compensations", crowds of protesters marched through the main streets of the Red Sea coastal city of Port Sudan, and other cities including Madani, al-Obeid and Kassala, witnesses said.

Rapid support forces are under the command of Mohammed Hamdan Diklu, a well-known representative, who is a representative head of the military.

At least 11 people were killed in clashes with security forces, according the organisers.

"This is an attempt to block the agreement which has been reached by the Transitionalattempted coupMilitary Council and the Alliance for Freedom and Change", attempted coupudanese Gen. Jamal Omar said on state television.

But Ahmed Rabei, a spokesperson for the SPA, said later that the protest movement had called for the talks to be postponed until Sunday, "for more consultations" within the FDFC on the deal.

Under the reported deal, five seats would go to the military and five to civilians, with an additional seat given to a civilian agreed upon by both sides.


Ethiopian mediator Mahmoud Dirir, who has been involved in mediating between the two sides, told reporters that the political declaration will be "debated on, discussed and signed at the same time".

The signing ceremony was expected to take place earlier this week, but several delays were announced, raising suspicions the two parties might still be divided over the agreement's details.

"I believe that these are serious attempts to foil the power sharing deal we agreed upon as TMC and FFC, so I also believe that this attempt may not be the last one", Babikir said. The transition agreement sets up a joint Sovereign Council that will rule for a little over three years while elections are organized.

A military leader is to head the council for the first 21 months, followed by a civilian leader for the next 18.

The announcement of the attempted coup failed after the agreement of the military council and opposition representatives to end the political deadlock in the country.

They also agreed on an independent Sudanese investigation into the deadly crackdown by security forces on the protests last month, though it's unclear if anyone will be held accountable. RSF troops stood on roads surrounding Burri, armed with sticks.


Dagalo accused "intelligence agencies" of defaming the RSF.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER