Mum dies after cutting leg on beach and contracting a flesh-eating bug

Henrietta Brewer
July 2, 2019

Anna Maria IslandPhoto via Adobe ImagesThe family of 77-year-old Lynn Flemming says she fell victim to flesh-eating bacteria and died this past week due to complications from her infected leg.

Lynn Fleming was walking along the seafront with her family a fortnight ago when she slipped in a small underwater depression. The wound swelled up and continued to bleed, prompting her to go to an urgent care facility where she was prescribed antibiotics and given a tetanus shot.

But the next day she was discovered unconscious in her home, with doctors saying she'd contracted flesh-eating bacteria. But during the surgeries, Fleming suffered two strokes and sepsis.

Lynn Fleming's death follows the case of a 12-year-old girl from IN, who scraped her toe and contracted the same rare bacteria while vacationing last month IN a Florida Panhandle beach.

She was left with a 3/4 inch graze below her knee which she described as "small cut".


His wife said her mother-in-law died after walking on "the place she loved".

"It seems like a "Lifetime" movie really", Fleming's son, Wade, told a local Fox affiliate.

"Unfortunately, it's the place that took her life by freak accident". "We got the swelling down, but it just kept bleeding".

She was treated at Manatee Memorial Hospital, and Fleming booked a flight back to Manatee County, talking to her as he was driving to the airport. They got in through a sliding glass door, found her on the floor and called 911.

Here's what you need to know about this deadly infection. "She loved the ocean and she loved walking on the beach", Traci said.


Fleming's death comes in the same month that a 12-year-old girl, also in Florida, was infected with a flesh-eating bacteria. "Necrotizing fasciitis can be caused by a number of bacteria, including Vibrio vulnificus, staphylococcus (staph), and most commonly Group A strep", according to the statement.

The state agency does not test waterways for vibrio, but they test cultures from people who are diagnosed with the bacteria.

Fleming had caught a fever and her leg was swollen.

According to the CDC, necrotizing fasciitis is rare, but people with compromised immune systems have a harder time fighting the infection.

People also can get necrotizing fasciitis after an injury that does not break the skin (blunt trauma), according to the CDC. This type of bacteria is somewhat common to the Gulf of Mexico, due to its warmer waters. And get to a doctor immediately if a cut has swelling or redness, since the infection can spread quickly.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER