Family: Woman dies from flesh-eating disease in Florida

Henrietta Brewer
July 1, 2019

Lynn Fleming was not initially concerned about the wound she got two weeks ago after falling into a small dip in the water at Coquina Beach.

But the day after that she was found unconscious at her home and was rushed to hospital.

She was diagnosed with the flesh-eating disease and died Thursday after suffering two strokes and organ failure, nearly two weeks after her injury. "She fell into it, came out with a little 3/4-inch cut".

She needed emergency surgery to remove infection in her leg muscle to save her life.


Necrotizing fasciitis destroys tissue under the skin that can be caused by a number of different bacteria, the most common being Group-A Strep and Vibrio, which are drawn to warm water such as that off the coast of Florida.

"Maybe if she was diagnosed a little earlier, you know, maybe we'd be sitting here talking to my mom without a leg, but you know, with a life", Fleming said.

While they operated on her leg, she died last week after suffering two strokes and contracting sepsis.

Wade Fleming's wife, Traci told Fox: "This is the place she loved".


"It seems like a "Lifetime" movie really", Wade said.

Fleming's death comes in the same month that a 12-year-old girl, also in Florida, was infected with a flesh-eating bacteria. "We got the swelling down, but it just kept bleeding", he said. The bacteria thrives in water that stays above 55 degrees year-round.

"She loved the ocean; she loved walking on the beach".

Wade Fleming told NBC News the family wanted to share his mother's story to create awareness and maybe help someone else before it's too late.


Traci said: "She couldn't wait to get down here and retire", she said.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER